Inspections and approval by a County Building Inspector are required for all work being done with a permit. The County provides next day inspections for requests received before 3pm on regular workdays. Requests received on weekends or County observed holidays will be entered on the next regular workday and scheduled for the following workday or later depending on the date you request. You may request inspections up to five days in advance.
Building Inspections can be requested in one of three ways
- The Mobile Inspection App (Recommended)
- The Insite Public Portal
- Inspection request phone line (408) 299-3161
NOTE: Fire Prevention (FMO) inspections for construction projects, please call 408-341-4420
To schedule an inspection you must have the following information:
- The permit number
- The inspection code(s) for the inspections you need (e.g. FI01 Project Complete)
- The name and phone number of the person who will be attending the inspection
Scheduling Inspections for Projects with Multiple Permits
Original Permit – The first permit issued for a project. These permits will have no suffixes.
Revision Permit – A permit issued that alters the scope of the Original Permit. These permits will end with a suffix (example DEV23-0000-REV1).
Deferred Submittal Permit – A permit that issued for work that was required but not included in the Original Permit, such as Truss calculations for a new structure, fire sprinkler systems, pv solar for new dwellings, etc. Deferred Submittal Permits will also have a suffix after the original permit number (example DEV23-0000-DEF1).
For projects with multiple permits (original, revision, deferred), you must request each permit separately. When you need multiple inspections (example rough frame, rough electrical, rough plumbing, etc.) you must request each inspection that you would like the inspector to perform. The best way to request multiple inspections is to use the Mobile Inspection App.
Building Inspectors schedule their inspection routes based on the inspections that have been requested for a given day. If you do not request all the inspections you need, you may have to reschedule for another day as the inspector may not have time in their schedule to add additional inspections.
To close out a permit and avoid costly delays and administrative fees you must request final inspections (FI01 Project Complete) inspections for all related records.
NOTE: The Mobile Inspection App allows you to request multiple inspections quickly and easily in a few quick clicks on your mobile device.
TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL INSPECTIONS
- Work must match what is shown on the approved plans
- If the actual conditions of the job are different than what is shown on the approved plans OR you are unable to follow the work on the approved plans you will need to notify your design professional and have them revise the plans and submit them to the County for approval BEFORE calling for an inspection
- Please do not cover ANY work until it has been approved by a County Building Inspector
- Make sure the work is COMPLETED and READY for inspection before requesting an inspection. Not being ready for an inspection can result in reinspection fees and project delays.
- Make sure you are scheduling your inspections on the correct permit. For example, if you have a deferred submittal permit for roof trusses you need to schedule the roof frame/roof nailing inspection on both the original permit and the deferred submittal permit.
Mobile Inspection App and Virtual Inspection
I’m a Contractor or Homeowner, what do I have to do?
What inspections can I request to be virtual?
Can I use the Mobile Inspection App to request face to face (in-person) inspections?
Yes, the Mobile Inspection App allows you to easily request inspections from your mobile device. The app also allows you to schedule multiple inspections for the same permit quickly and easily.
I have the app, created an account, and am signed in, now what?
- Request an inspection in the app
If you are unable to use the Mobile Inspection App, you can instead use the Insite Public Portal or call (408) 299-3161 to schedule with our phone system.
- Test your internet connection at the inspection site.