The Department of Planning & Development is only accepting electronic submittals, as paper plan sets cannot be reviewed at this time.
- A public user account in the InSite Public Portal will be required to complete the application process, to make payment and upload documents.
- To create a user account, see Santa Clara County InSite Public User Manual. Note the public user account email on the Intake form.
NOTE: Over the counter mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and reroof permits may be applied for by a licensed contractor directly on-line. Please visit InSite Public Portal, login and create your “On-Line Permit” application.
- Once your user account has been created, login to the InSite Public Portal and Create Development Application.
- Select “Application Request” and submit:
- A completed Development (Building and Grading) Permit Application form.
- A complete Plan Set. If plan set exceeds 100 MB, plans can be separated by disciplines as necessary (i.e. Architectural, Structural, M/E/P, Landscape, Civil). Group the disciplines to minimize the number of files uploaded.
- Calcs, Spec Sheets, or any additional supporting documents.
- Documents MUST comply with the Building Submittal Requirements, Digital Submittal Requirements, and Naming Conventions.
- To upload digital documents, see “How to Submit the Documents Electronically” worksheet.
- A Permit Technician will verify completeness of submittal, create a permit application number, provide access to the invoice for payment and uploading of documents, within 72 business hours.
NOTE: Applications for new structures and additions are subject to Planning Clearance prior to processing. If Planning Clearance cannot be granted, you will be notified of next steps.
- If a notification is not received within 72 business hours from the time the application is uploaded, please email us at [email protected].
- This process is subject to change as improvements are implemented by the Department.