On August 17, 2021, the County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors preliminarily adopted an amendment to the County of Santa Clara Ordinance Code, relating to implementation of State Minimum Fire Safe Regulations, including a process for appeals of denials of exceptions to these regulations. For more information, please read the August 17, 2021 Board of Supervisors report.
For questions and input regarding the amendment, contact Robert Cain via email or by calling(408) 299-5706. The Ordinance Code amendment is scheduled for final adoption by the Board of Supervisors on August 31, 2021
For additional background on Fire Safe Regulations, please reference links below:
- May 27, 2021 HLUET Staff Report
- May 27, 2021 HLUET PowerPoint
- State Board of Forestry proposed Amendment
- State Board of Forestry Website
- Santa Clara County Community Wildfire Protection Plan
- Presentation and Video of Public Outreach Meeting on Sept 28
- Video of Public Outreach Meeting on Oct 14
- State Minimum Fire Safe Regulations - Current as of July 1, 2021
- Fire Hazard Severity Zones Viewer
County to Hold Community Outreach Meeting to Inform Residents About State Minimum Fire Safe Regulations
The County has recently adopted an ordinance to more effectively implement State Minimum Fire Safe Regulations, which apply to lands designated as in the State Responsibility Area (SRA) and, since July 1, 2021, in the Local Responsibility Area (LRA) Very High Fire Hazard Severity Zone (VHFHSZ). The goal of this session is to provide information on:
- The applicability of the State Minimum Fire Safe Regulations;
- Recent and proposed changes in the State Minimum Fire Safe Regulations;
- The process for Development Applications and Land Use Entitlements in the covered areas;
- The Exceptions and Appeals process recently adopted by the County.
The goal of the State Minimum Fire Safe Regulations is to reduce the risk to life and property due to wildfires in the SRA and the LRA VHFHSZ. The goal of the County’s recent legislation is to ensure an adequate process exists in the Unincorporated County for the portions of the State regulations which are managed by local governments. The County encourages comments and participation from the public, especially from those who live or own property in the SRA or LRA VHFHSZ.
County of Santa Clara Planning Department
- Leza Mikhail, Interim Planning Manager
- Robert Cain, Associate Planner
Santa Clara County Residents
WHEN AND WHERE (VIRTUAL MEETINGS ONLY):
Thursday, October 14, 2021
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM
Video of Zoom Meeting
For additional information and to provide questions and/or comments, the public is encouraged to submit them at the County Planning Office to Robert Cain via email or by calling(408) 299-5706.