Develop or Improve a Property
Development Information and Guidelines
- Information about several land use and construction guidelines.
When is a Building Permit Required?
- A building permit must be obtained before you construct, enlarge, alter, move, replace, repair, improve, convert, or demolish any building or structure. This includes patio covers and sheds over 120 square feet, decks, fences over 6 ft. high, retaining walls more than 4 ft. in height (measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall), and all retaining walls supporting a surcharge (i.e. road, structure or hillside, etc.).
Minor Remodel, Additions under 500 Square Feet, accessory structures
New Residence, Rebuild, Major Remodel, Additions Over 500 Square Feet, Secondary Dwellings
- How Do I Apply for a Building Permit?
- What Other Approvals May Be Needed for Construction?
- Where Can I Build on My Property?
- Can I Have A Secondary Dwelling Unit or "Granny Unit"?
Building Site Approval Verification Form
If you would like to see if your property is an Approved Building Site, submit the form to our Building Site Approval email address.
- Use Permit
- Architecture and Site Approval
- Establish a Business in Santa Clara County
- Home Occupations
What is the Status of My Permit? Email our Permit Center to check up on the status of your permit