The Housing Element is a mandatory element, or chapter, of the General Plan that primarily addresses the housing needs of the unincorporated areas in the County of Santa Clara. A Housing Element must be updated on an eight-year cycle or as otherwise determined by the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD). Housing Element update cycles now correlate with regional transportation processes, as conducted by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission and the Association of Bay Area Governments.
The Housing Element is a mandatory element of the General Plan that addresses the housing needs of unincorporated Santa Clara County. It functions to address housing resolutions through policies, services, and programs in the following ways:
- Identifies available funding for construction, rehabilitation, and preservation
- Identifies available rental subsidies
- Addresses shelters and special needs housing
- Identifies available home financing for first-time and low-income buyers
- Offers financial services to address housing discrimination and dispute resolution
- Identifies opportunity sites for new housing on surplus County lands
- Facilitates advocacy and education
A Housing Element must be updated on an eight year cycle or as otherwise determined by the HCD. The County of Santa Clara’s current Housing Element extends to 2022. That means it is time for an update.
This project website is your destination for project information. Continue to check back for updates. We encourage you to register for project updates by email so that we can keep you informed of upcoming events, project updates and other ways to get involved.